Friday, June 29, 2012

Summer Rose

It's my least favorite time of the year -- 'Summer'
In some parts of the world, they have lovely weather  in the Summer, with temps just high enough to make a swimming pool (and a cold drink) very inviting.

But, here in Oklahoma the past 2 Summers could not be described as 'lovely'.  Last year had over 66 days over 100 degrees with no rain.  And, unless you were willing to take out a 2nd mortgage for your water bill - you had some casualities of the heat and drought.  We still have bare patches in our lawn and I thought we lost one of the rose bushes too.  I was wrong (partly away).  The picture below is a rose, springing up from the dried up base of one of my favorite Knock Out Roses. 






I was going to dig this bush up and replace it with a crepe myrtle in the fall - but now I'll wait and see what happens with this little shoot of green, topped with a rose.
I think it deserves a chance, don't you ? 


Note:  This Summer we are already on our 5th day of over 100 degree heat.  Keep your fingers crossed that we don't have a repeat of last year.



No comments:

Post a Comment