Friday, September 9, 2011

In my genes . . . . .

There were ripe bananas in the house this week - which meant it was time to bake Banana Bread, using my old standy by recipe from Southern Living: 


Hawaiian Bread 

In a large bowl, mix together: 
  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 2 cups granulated sugar 
  • 1 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)

In a smaller bowl, mix together:
  • 1 cup vegetable oil
  • 3 eggs
  • 2 cups ripe bananas, mashed*
  • 1 can (8 oz) crushed pineapple, drained
  • 2 tsp vanilla

Add wet ingredients to dry, stir just until no more flour is visible.  Pour batter into regular size loaf pans (sprayed with PAM). Bake at 350 degrees for 55 minutes or until bread tests done with a toothpick (adjust baking times for smaller or larger pans).  Cool in pans for 10 minutes before turning out onto wire racks to cool completely.  Keeps very well for 2-3 days at room temp or can be frozen (well wrapped) up to 6 months. 
* 2 cups of either grated carrots or zucchini can be subsituted for the bananas 
 
Note:  The above picture is proof positive that I am my Mother's Daughter.  I've stopped buying crushed pineapple in those small (and expensive) cans that are the correct size for this recipe.  Now I buy the larger economy size (read: cheaper) and use half for a batch of bread. 

And, if you need more proof - I save the remaining crushed pineapple in a recycled peanut butter jar that goes into the frig until it's needed.  Believe me, I thought of my Mom when I reached for this jar and smiled.  If you could see inside her refrigerator - you would understand -- which is the reason I put the date on my jar !!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment