Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Good Read: 'Shelter Me'

'Four months are her husband's death, Janie LaMarche remains undone by grief and anger.'

The above is the first line I read on the back of the book 'Shelter Me' by Juliette Fay.
I was drawn to the book because of the cover - a picture of a woman & child, on a porch, wrapped in a colorful hand-made afghan. 


After picking up the book and reading that first line - I immediately put it back on display table, thinking 'not another tragic widow's story'.  No thank you -  not in the mood.  Moving on down the aisle in Barnes & Noble, I searched for something else to read that was light and entertaining.  If I'm correct, I believe this is about the time I got sucked into the world of 'Game of Thrones' (all 5 books in 4 months).  FYI - the Game of Thrones series is filled with beheading, pillaging, dragons, and evil villains - not 'light'  but, entertaining all the same.  But, this post is not about Game of Thrones is it ?

I must confess that I started reading it expecting not to like it at all -- and, you need to know, the book it is filled with grief & sadness.  But, it's also packed with characters I really felt at home with - that I didn't want to leave at the last page.  Janie, the young widow, a fierce personality who loves deeply and grieves even deeper.  And, then there are all the people who come in/out of her life - some are permanent - some are short term - but all important.  Shelly, her sassy neighbor, Cormac, her big lovable brother (the baker), her wacky & 'always there for her' Auntie Jude, her children, Carly the baby & Dylan the pre-schooler, and Tug, the capenter (all flannel and big heart). And, that's just a short list of the characters -- all of them touch Janie and in big/small ways, helping her navigate her way through her grief.   Yes, it was a little 'Lifetime Movie'ish - but, in a good way.   I did not want the book to end and I think that's a good recommendation. 

Now I'm onto working my way through this pile of books on my bedside table -- hope they are all 'good reads' too.


Note:  Can't believe I almost forgot to mention one last thing from 'Shelter Me' -- 'pology cake'.  It has magical powers to right wrongs, dry tears and cause an out-break of spontaneous smiling.

No comments:

Post a Comment